Kulick and 10 Questions with TotalNtertainment. With his new album ‘Yelling in a Quiet Neighbourhood’ out now and his new single ‘Just be Friends’ also out now (see below) we got the chance to have a quick chat with Kulick about life and music.
1. Thanks for your time, how is life treating you at the moment?
Well, it’s December in 2020, so probably the same as it’s treating you! I’m well, writing music, working on live videos, and so on so I can’t complain!
2. You’ve just put out your first album, “Yelling In A Quiet Neighbourhood”, can you tell us a little bit about it?
In short, this is my first album, written about a strenuous divorce, filled with guilt, sadness, and acceptance. Anyone who has ever felt a bit of self hatred or went through a tough breakup; this is for you.
3. Going back to your growing up, you used music as a respite to deal with bullying. How did it help you?
Music was the first place I processed my emotions. It was the first place that I could freely express myself and feel like I was being heard and welcomed. It was a step in front of journaling which also helped in those darker times.
4. Was there a particular album or artist that you went to during those times? If not, what bands and albums did you listen to?
A Day to Remember. The anger and frustration in those songs really helped me process and not feel alone. Their Homesick record to be specific.
5. For someone going through similar difficulties to the ones that you went through, what advice would you give them?
It sounds difficult, but to really only care about what you think and feel about yourself. Do some internal work, and know that whoever is picking on you probably has a difficult life at home and doesn’t know how to process their own frustrations, so they take it out on you. Write about it, and tell people that you trust about it. You don’t need to give names if you don’t want to, but for how obvious it may seem to you that this is happening, others will not know unless you say something. You are not helpless and you are not worthless.
6. What or who turned you from just listening to music to actually putting your ideas down into songs?
A combination of wanting to sing my journal entries and wanting to start a cover band. Once we had covers down, I got bored and wanted to sing my own songs. What started me recording them was getting an 8 track recording tascam.
7. When you first started out as a songwriter, what were the challenges you faced and what have you learned about yourself as you’ve developed as an artist?
When I first started, I was writing too specifically about my life to the point where it wasn’t relatable. That and being born half deaf in both ears made it more difficult to find pitch, but with practice that improved thank God.
8. You’ve got your album out, going forward what are your ambitions as an artist?
I have always wanted to be a songwriter. I don’t have any goals to be a social media influencer or a TikTok star or anything. I just focus on making catchy songs and touring. I want to be able to make enough money to only do music and to not be stressed!
9. Just for fun…What do you think cats dream about?
Hopefully the mice that are currently in my apartment, and eat them out of existence.
10. Thanks for your time, just to finish, what are your hopes for 2021?
I hope to be writing and finishing another album and touring! Thank YOU!!
This is his website, you can find out more about him here: http://kulickofficial.com/