Growing pains and unapologetic ambition link arms and face the future together on The Lathums’ emotionally supercharged second album, From Nothing To A Little Bit More, released today on Island Records. Tearing another page from the picture book of singer and songwriter, Alex Moore’s twenty-something life of love, loss and hard-won wisdom, the band celebrates the album’s release with a video for raucous love song and new single: Lucky Bean.
Joined by bandmates Scott Concepcion (guitar/piano), Ryan Durrans (drums) and Matty Murphy (bass) in the earnest storytelling and wry, eyebrow-arching observational song writing that covers the speeding rollercoaster turns and dead ends of twenty-something life, the four-piece’s follow up to 2021’s huge, debut album, How Beautiful Life Can Be, arrives backdropped by the band’s progression as a live band.
Recently announcing their biggest headline show to date, a summer night before 8,000 fans at Manchester’s Castlefield Bowl on Fri 30 June 2023, The Lathums direction of travel onstage and off can be heard across From Nothing To A Little Bit More’s ambitious production, enhanced instrumentation and impassioned lyrics.
Lucky Bean’s story of dopamine-surging infatuation in the first flushes of romance is spliced with the knowledge that it remains a document of happier times, love’s sweetness having soured between writing and recording. Contained in a small house together as his break-up crossed over with studio time, the band became a ‘safe space’ and a vital source of counsel for Moore. Typical of The Lathums, every beat of a broken heart is made louder and festival-stage ready, concealing a moment pain in a rush of jangling, skiffle-pop splendour.
- Mon 6 Mar – Liverpool, Mountford Hall, Liverpool University – SOLD OUT
- Tue 7 Mar – Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumbria Students Union
- Thu 9 Mar – Sheffield, O2 Academy Sheffield – SOLD OUT
- Fri 10 Mar – Glasgow, O2 Academy Glasgow – SOLD OUT
- Sat 11 Mar – Manchester, Albert Hall – SOLD OUT
- Mon 13 Mar – Norwich, The Waterfront – SOLD OUT
- Tue 14 Mar – Cardiff, Cardiff University, Great Hall
- Thu 16 Mar – Nottingham, Rock City
- Fri 17 Mar – Birmingham, O2 Institute Birmingham – SOLD OUT
- Sat 18 Mar – London, Roundhouse
- Fri 30 Jun – Manchester, Castlefield Bowl