The Roly Mo and 10 Questions with TotalNtertainment. Glaswegian indie rock newcomers The Roly Mo have revealed their conscientious new sing-a-long ‘Control Yourself’. This is the third and final single taken from the newly announced upcoming debut EP ‘TRM’ which is set for release on September 11th, so we had quick catch up with Andrew and Lewis about the EP and more.
1. Thanks for your time, the new EP is out this week, what can the world expect from it ?
AN: Expect 6 completely different songs so that it doesn’t get repetitive and there’s at least one song for everyone. It is as aggressive and heavy as it is melancholy and melodic. Each song is like a small story some of which are more true than others.
LJ: 1. An EP with a range of sounds. Not sure whether or not we intended on it, but each song is quite different. It’s also loud.
2. Joe has spoken about the song being the best advice he’s been given but never acted upon. Are you the kind of people who would talk each other out of it if it looks like they’re going to do something dumb or just leave them to it ?
AN: Depends on how bad the thing is. If it is a very bad or embarrassing thing then we will try to convince the person not to do it but then they’ll decide to do it anyway.
3. Would you rather win £10,000 or let your best friend win £100,000?
AN: Best friend win £100,000 defo just as long as he bought me a drink with it or something.
LJ: I’d let my best friend win £100,000.. surely they’d give me some cash anyways if I let them win?!
4. As a band what has been the best piece of advice you’ve been given at this stage in your career ?
AN: Best advice would have to be at gigs, always play as if you’re in front of 500,000 folk going mental even if it’s just 5 people watching.
5. You’ve grown up in Glasgow, on a personal level, what is the most important lesson you’ve learned to help you survive life in Glasgow?
AN: All of us have only really ever lived in and around Glasgow so maybe we are a bit bias but it’s a city with a lot of variety in music, art and so much more. No matter what your interests may be there’s bound to be like minded people that are interested in similar things so it’s easy to feel at home.
6. If you became invisible for an hour RIGHT NOW, what things would you do?
AN: Scare the f*ck out of my pals
7. Once the EP is out, what are your plans for the rest of the year ?
AN: Write, rehearse, record
8. You talk about over-exaggerated anger, what is the one thing that really makes you lose your mind ?
AN: The other boys in the band.
9. Just for fun: if an alien landed in Glasgow, what would be the best and worst thing about the city that you would show them?
AN: The best thing would be to take them to a decent gig.
10. Thanks for your time, could you sum up 2020 for The Roly Mo and also let us know what your hopes are for 2021?
AN: 2020 started off very promising with us scheduled to do lots of gigs and we had songs to release and new songs to record. Then the coronavirus pandemic happened and- like everything else in the world- it came to a grinding halt. Luckily we had a full EP ready and we were able to still release songs from it.
We’ve just been missing gigs and recording since the lockdown started which I suppose is the same with everyone else but we’ve still got a wee while left of 2020 so hopefully it only gets better. With 2021 around the corner we are hoping to get gigging again, release some brand new material and maybe get some touring done.
You can find out more about the single and the EP here: https://www.totalntertainment.com/music/the-roly-mo-reveal-new-single-control-yourself/