Meet Nicola Høie, the soon to be pop superstar, whose name will no doubt be on everyone’s lips come 2023. After the release of her new single, watch the video below, we got the chance to have a chat with Nicola and see what secrets she was willing to share with us!
1. Thanks for your time Nicola, how is life treating you at the moment?
Thank you for having me. Life is treating me very well at the moment, I have just had my first song come out which I’m stoked about.
2. You’ve just dropped your new single “Secrets” – how does it feel now it is out and is it a good taster for what we can expect from you in the future?
I’m super stoked that secrets is out. We have been working on so much material for the last 2 to 3 years and for my music to start coming out now is emotional. We have a lot of really catchy songs coming out and also some more emotional one’s. A good balance I would say so that people can feel things in different ways.
Read more about the single here.
3. So, what inspired “Secrets” then? It feels like quite a personal song?
Yeah secrets is a personal song. It’s about having a person you like and you know that they aren’t any good for you. It’s about someone making empty promises saying they have changed when in reality they haven’t. It’s about having a bad past with that person that wasn’t good for either of you and you don’t want to give them the satisfaction of knowing that you still have feelings for them.
4. You’ve spent two years working on your music, what have you learned and how have you changed as an artist during that time?
I have honestly learned so much and still learn every single day. I have worked with people who are so dedicated to their craft and just care so much and they put everything into what they love. You can’t help but get immensely inspired and just want to get better and better. It’s so fun being around people who have the same passion as you do and when you can create something so special together it’s magical.
5. What took you from being just a music lover into being an artist?
That’s a good and interesting question. Well I wanted to create different albums with different styles of songs and songs people of all ages would listen to and which would make people feel and which would make people feel heard, understood and things that they could relate to. I don’t just wanna record random stuff, I want to be able to tell my story. My story of my different journeys. All the good and the bad things I have been through. It should be like storytelling. I think that’s what made me want to become an artist and not just a music lover.
6. You’re inspired by your Scandinavian roots, what are the pop scenes like in Norway and Denmark and are there any artists we should be looking out for?
There is so much great Scandinavian pop music. Who doesn’t love ABBA and naturally I’m inspired by their music. They have had so many hits and it’s impressive how they have managed to build such solid art. Their material is so timeless and classic. As for something newer, I really rate Sigrid!
7. Your goal must be to break out as a worldwide artist. Where would you most like to play?
A dream of mine is to perform at the Super Bowl and Wembley Stadium. That would be crazy.
8. Going forward then, what are your ambitions as an artist? And which pop superstar do you feel you can most relate to?
I have a lot on my list. I would love to do a stadium tour. And to be able to continue to make music which will bring joy to people around the world. I also would love to build some sort of foundation in a couple of years for kids dealing with learning difficulties. I myself had learning difficulties and it really affected me growing up so to be able to make some sort of system in the future where I can help kids who struggle with that would be great.
An artist who I feel like I can relate to would be Adele. She strikes me as so genuine and true to herself. She also seems like a no bullshit kind of person and just says things like it is which is a breath of fresh air. I’m a little like that so I would say Adele.
9. Just for fun and, on the subject of Secrets, have you ever had a really embarrassing secret which you’ve either been unable to keep or had someone find out? If so, tell us more…
Oh god I for sure have a lot of embarrassing stories… It hurts to even think of them. That’s how bad it can be. The first one which I could think of was when I was 15 and liked this guy. I printed out a picture of him because my phone was being repaired and I wanted to show a photo of him to my friend so I printed out a picture of him and brought it to school to show her. It’s a long story but he ended up seeing that I printed out his photo and you don’t wanna know the rest. It was one of the most humiliating things. I tried to justify myself but it just ended up sounding worse and worse and made me look and sound like some big weirdo.
10. Thanks for your time Nicola and good luck with everything. Just to finish off, what can music fans expect from you in 2023?
Thank you for having me. This has been fun. They can expect a whole lot of different music coming out in 2023 and hopefully some performances. We have a lot of really exciting things in store!