Today, Decca Records announce the release of ‘Good Night Songs for Rebel Girls,’ celebrating extraordinary women in music and created in partnership with Rebel Girls, the global multi-platform edutainment brand focused on inspiring and instilling confidence in a generation of girls around the world. Good Night Songs for Rebel Girls features covers of both contemporary and historic singles that transcend genre and geography, penned by iconic female artists from Alicia Keys to Carole King. Performed by a multigenerational line-up of female vocalists, the album draws inspiration from the girl-driven narrative of the New York Times-bestselling book series and podcast, Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls to empower and uplift girls around the world through music.
To anchor the album, Decca curated a diverse group of female singer-songwriters to perform each track, including the legendary Joan Jett. Touted as the queen of rock’n’roll and the godmother of punk, Jett recorded a brand-new version of her track ‘Fresh Start’ exclusively for Decca and Rebel Girls. Ahead of the album’s release, Jett will perform ‘Fresh Start’ with The Blackhearts during the Rebel Girls United Rally, a free virtual event hosted by Rebel Girls on International Day of the Girl (Oct. 11) that includes activities, singalongs, and interactive fun presented by a powerful group of female thought leaders, changemakers, and doers.
Imelda May, Skye Edwards, Anoushka Shankar, Beth Orton & Jess Gillam are some of the featured artists and tracks on Good Night Songs for Rebel Girls which also includes:
- Anastacia – Performs ‘Stronger’ (Kelly Clarkson) – One of the highest selling female artists in the world, with over 30 million records. A staunch campaigner for breast cancer awareness & winner of the Humanitarian Award from GQ.
- Ani Di Franco – Performs ‘Brass in Pocket’ (The Pretenders) – Through The Righteous Babe Foundation, DiFranco has backed grassroots cultural and political organisations supporting causes that include abortion rights and LGBT visibility.
- Aurora – Performs ‘Thank U’ (Alanis Morrisette) – Norwegian songstress, beloved as “The Sound of The North Wind” in Disney’s Frozen 2, she has an army of fans who call themselves ‘Warriors & Weirdos.’
- KT Tunstall – Performs ‘Hymn to Her’ (The Pretenders) – Adopted at a young age, Scottish with Chinese heritage, KT won best female artist at The Brits, An Ivor Novello and Mercury & Grammy award nominations.
- Macy Gray – 5 Time Grammy award nominee and multiplatinum selling artist.
- Somin – Performs ‘Titanium’ (Rihanna) – One quarter of the K-Pop Group KARD with 1.9 million followers on Instagram.
- Tank & The Bangas – Performs ‘Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood’ (Nina Simone) – Grammy nominated and one of Michelle Obamas favourite artists. Hailing from New Orleans and fronted by Slam Poet Tarriona ‘Tank” Ball.
About Rebel Girls
Rebel Girls is a global multi-platform edutainment company on a mission to inspire confidence in 50 million girls over the next 5 years. Rebel Girls is dedicated to highlighting and exploring the lives of trailblazing women who are innovators, leaders, creators, and champions. Their stories are brought to a global community of Rebel Girls through award winning book publishing, podcasts, digital media and more. Since initial publication, the Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls series has been translated into nearly 50 languages and is available in over 85 countries worldwide.
Good Night Songs for Rebel Girls Tracklisting:
- Beloved – Imelda May
2. Beautiful – Macy Grey
3. Girl on Fire – Lubiana
4. The Only Way is Up – SKYE
5. Thank U – Aurora
6. Stronger – Anastacia
7. Fresh Start – Joan Jett
8. Brass in Pocket – Ani DiFranco
9. Don’t Let me be Misunderstood – Tank and the Bangas
10. Hymn to Her – KT Tunstall
11. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Amy Wadge
12. Issues – Marie White
13. For Today I am a Boy – Beth Orton
14. You’ve Got a Friend – Jess Gillam
15. Joga – Anoushka Shankar
17. Beautiful – Somin of KARD
18. Va Tu Sei Libero (You Don’t Own Me) – Elodie
19. The Park – Pomme