Nick Wilson and 10 Questions with TotalNtertainment.
Nick Wilson has continued his rich run of form since signing to Never Fade Records. While the 25-year-old’s songs are often infused with the pain of lost love, his latest release ‘Everybody But Me’ comes from a more troubled place. We got the chance to have a quick chat to Nick about his new single and more.
1. Thanks for your time Nick, what has the reaction been like to the new single and how does it feel having it out ?
Thank you for having me! Yeah it’s been really amazing, people seem to really be connecting with the song which is all I could have asked for
2. The single is about hitting your lowest point. Is this written from personal experience?
Yeah it is, I wrote the song with my friends Matt Zara and Sam Klempner, and it was definitely a combination of all our experiences with this issue. I think we all have had times when we’ve felt like we’ve hit the bottom.
3. Over the past few months mental health has been a key concern of many people. How have you managed your own mental health during the past few months ?
It’s definitely been a strange one through lockdown, mainly because of the uncertainty with what comes next I think. Luckily I haven’t struggled too much, but I’ve definitely found that speaking to friends and family much more has helped keep my mind healthy. Even playing video games and watching films has helped as an escape.
4. Your songs are described as often being infused with the pain of lost love. Do you always write these songs from a personal experience and how does this help you ?
Yeah I couldn’t write about these themes if they weren’t from a personal experience, i just find it easier to tap into something that has happened. It’s almost like therapy to me, getting things off my chest that I never could. And when it isn’t something that is happening to me in the moment of writing, it’s at least something I can remember or put myself into that moment from the past.
5. People are obviously connecting with your songs and you’re getting some high profile fans noticeably Demi Lovato. How does that feel as a songwriter ?
Absolutely wild haha, it feels unreal. She’s such an incredibly talented artist and writer so hearing praise from her is definitely reassuring
6. Now the single is out, what are your plans for further new music ?
Some more new music this year, and then working on the next project which I’m SUPER excited about (but can’t say too much yet).
7. We’ve talked about some of your high profiles fans – on that note, who would you most like to collaborate with?
I would love to collaborate with John Mayer. Anyone who knows me knows how much of a fan I am of his. I just love his craft on the guitar and as a songwriter.
8. Do you remember your early music experiences? Who was it that really made you want to take up music and songwriting ?
I was obsessed with Gavin DeGraw and The Fray when I was younger, those two were definitely huge influences in my early songwriting and singing. I remember I used to mimic their voices through YouTube covers.
9. Just for fun: You accidentally ate some radioactive pizza. The good news is it tasted great! The even better news is that its given you one superpower of your choice. What do you choose?
This sounds like a dream situation as I love pizza… 100% flying. Just because it looks so fun. I’m not fussed about reading minds or anything just let me float around for a bit
10. Thanks for your time, as we head towards 2021, how would you sum up your 2020 and what are your hopes for 2021 ?
Thank you for having me! I would say it has been eventful and unexpected, but I’m hopeful for more live music and simpler times ahead in 2021!
You can find out more about his latest release here: https://www.totalntertainment.com/music/nick-wilson-shares-everybody-but-me/