An up-tempo gallop into the brighter months of the year comes via The Boo Radleys who release their ode to beer-sodden romantic misadventure, How Was I To Know? ahead of the summer release of their eighth studio album, Eight. Setting lead singer, Simon ‘Sice’ Rowbottom at the heart of the story of infatuation gone wrong amidst the foam and fumes of a heavy session, the legendary British genre-hoppers aim for the indie-pop bullseye and don’t miss.
Prior to famously hitting the upper-reaches of the UK charts with 1995’s radio-friendly staple, Wake Up Boo! and signing themselves into music history forever, The Boo Radleys journey through alt-rock, shoegaze and the grey areas in-between denoted them as a curious anomaly amongst critics and fans. With summer’s 30th Anniversary reissue of their landmark, 1993 album, Giant Steps taking the band back to those adventurous years and new album, Eight, released on Fri 9 June 2023, revealing the playful freedoms in the reformed three-piece’s song writing, the rich, stuttering story of The Boo Radleys winds intriguingly through time.
With little to lose from laying it all on the line, the current line-up of The Boo Radleys including Sice, bassist Tim Brown and drummer, Rob Cieka turn to more jovial matters on How Was I To Know? having dealt earnestly with hate and discrimination on their last single, Now That’s What I Call Obscene. Joining their expected magic with melody with meaningful messages for most of Eight’s 13 tracks, as they did with their heavyweight 2022 album, Keep On With Falling, their latest release and the album’s closer finds the fun in foolishness.
Brown says of the single: “A bag of nails, guitars and synths driven through Sice’s drunken shenanigans!”
All of The Boo Radleys’ live dates for 2023 currently announced and on sale are as follows:
- Tue 13 June – Reading, South Street Arts Centre – SOLD OUT
- Wed 14 June – London, The Garage
- Thu 15 June – Tunbridge Wells, The Forum
- Fri 16 June – Birkenhead, Future Yard
- Thu 22 June – Dublin, The Grand Social
- Fri 23 June – Belfast, The Limelight
- Sun 25 June – Glasgow, Hug and Pint – EVENING SOLD OUT – MATINEE ADDED
- Sat 28 October – Manchester, Bread Shed w/Cud
- Sun 29 October – Liverpool, O2 Academy 2 w/Cud
- Mon 30 October – Sheffield, O2 Academy 2 w/Cud
- Tue 31 October – Birmingham, O2 Institute 2 w/Cud
- Thu 2 November – Bristol, The Fleece w/Cud
- Fri 3 November – Oxford, O2 Academy 2 w/Cud
- Sat 4 November – London, O2 Academy Islington w/Cud
Tickets for all dates can be found via links available at https://www.thebooradleys.com